Anyone who earns income by renting out buildings, land or equipment or by providing storage facilities must comply with the following legislation. This is not an exhaustive list, and legal advice should always be taken before making any business decisions.


  • The Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 set out which ‘changes of use’ of buildings or land require planning permission.
  • The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 and equivalent legislation in Scotland and Northern Ireland require a valid energy performance certificate to be in force for any building that uses energy for heating, ventilation or air-conditioning before the building is advertised for rent.

See also: Rural business ideas for generating a rental income

  • The Highways Act 1980 requires business owners to obtain permission (usually through a licence) before displaying business signage (such as signs advertising a self-storage facility) on land owned by the highway authority.

This content is restricted

Please register as a free member of the Rural Business Network or log in to your existing account to view the full content.