Anyone renting out land or non-domestic buildings such as workshops, stables and storage units is subject to legislation relating to local planning permission, building regulations, health and safety, and tenancy contracts. In addition, all rental businesses must comply with trading standards and data protection law.

Professional legal advice should always be taken before making business decisions.

Permission and approval

Anyone intending to rent out land or buildings should contact their local authority at an early stage to check whether they need to apply for planning permission. Even if no improvements or alterations will be made, change-of-use planning permission may be needed.

For information about planning permission go to:

See also: Legislation checklist: Rental businesses

Building improvements and alterations may need building regulations approval. For information, go to

Before making a building available for rent it is usually necessary to obtain an energy performance certificate. For information, go to

This content is restricted

Please register as a free member of the Rural Business Network or log in to your existing account to view the full content.