Pet businesses such as boarding kennels and catteries are subject to significant amounts of legislation relating, for example, to licensing, animal welfare, the control of dogs, health and safety, consumer protection and waste disposal.

Professional legal advice should always be taken before making business decisions.

Licensing and planning permission

All animal boarding services must have an animal boarding establishment licence before they begin to trade. In England, Wales and Scotland, licences are issued by local authorities, and in Northern Ireland they are issued by Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs. Licences must be renewed annually.

See also: Keeping your equestrian business legal

Licence applicants must provide evidence that they have planning permission to develop land or property into a boarding kennels or cattery, or to use an existing property for this purpose. To apply for planning permission, they should contact the planning department of their local authority.

This content is restricted

Please register as a free member of the Rural Business Network or log in to your existing account to view the full content.